A Special Card...

This card came together quite organically. I was tidying up my desk a bit in preparation to make several bereavement cards for family who had lost a loved one recently and I came across a card my father-in-law had sent me in a pack which had been printed from his beautiful paintings. I've used most of the cards in the pack now, but this one remained and as I sat looking at it, it occurred to me that this would be the perfect thing to use to make a card up for his baby sister.

DSC_5948

This image is special to me, because I have such happy memories of taking my in-laws to Kew Gardens in London and the beautiful water lilies and Lotus we discovered together there. I'm sure this was the inspiration for this image. I love the way the Lotus lifts itself out of the water, rising high above the lotus pads. A delicate flower and yet full of hidden strength. This spoke to me, and I knew I wanted to use this image for a lovely Auntie that we are all grieving for and with right now. I feel it's special that this artwork was from her big brother and hope it brings a moment of joy and comfort as it was intended to.

DSC_5949

I die cut a pretty shape using a Spellbinders Nestabilities die for the sentiment and edged it with Tattered Rose Distress Ink. I used the same sentiment as I did on the previous three cards, inked as the last one was, in Tattered Rose Distress Ink. I love the softness that this gave to the sentiment, instead of a hard black line. There really are no words that can bring comfort at a time like this, but we just wanted to give her our love and support.


DSC_5940

I scored around the image twice to 'frame' it and I edged the image with Forest Moss Distress Ink. I didn't want much on the card besides the beautiful painting, but it needed something to balance the sentiment, so opted for a very sheer silver organza ribbon, which I think was the right touch to finish this card. I wanted like the other cards to keep it as CAS as possible.

Thanks for stopping in to visit today. This wasn't an easy post to do, but I wanted to post these four cards in the hope that someone else who has struggled to create a sympathy card as I have, might find it a good point of reference to start from. I was helped greatly in this way by the wonderful CAS sympathy cards created by one of my favourite crafting pals Lisa Nowacki. Do check out her blog Wishcraft if you want further inspiration. Hugs, Wends xxx

Challenge Entries:
Sister Act Card Challenge: #25 ~ Anything Goes
Through The Craftroom Door: September 24-30 ~ Anything Goes

Comments

Kellie 0:) said…
A beautiful card with a special story behind it. TFS your card and your heart with us.xx
Deonna B said…
Gorgeous Card and very considerate story behind it. I love that Water lily! Thank you for sharing with TTCRD this Week
Teresa said…
Beautiful card Wendy and a lovely sentiment too.
Hugs Teresa x
Donna Mosley said…
A very beautiful card Wendy and a lovely story behind it too.

Donna x

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy